Never give up... No one knows what's going to happen next.
Greetings and best wishes! I had a lot of fun during the last week, although admittedly nothing was really finished. In summary, these are the works I carried out in the last seven days:
Finilizing utilities for parallelization
Continuing experimenting on using lazy wheels or dependency resolution
Polishing up the patch refactoring
flake8-logging-format to the linter
Splitting the linting patch from the PR adding the license requirement to vendor README
Yes, you read it right, this is the same section as last fortnight's blog. My mentor Pradyun Gedam gave me a green light to have GH-8411 merged without support for Python 2 and the non-lazy map variant, which turns out to be troublesome for multithreading.
The tests still needs to pass of course and the flaky tests (see failing tests over Azure Pipeline in the past) really gave me a panic attack earlier today. We probably need to mark them as xfail or investigate why they are undeterministic specifically on Azure, but the real reason I was all caught up and confused was that the unit tests I added mess with the cached imports and as
pip's tests are run in parallel, who knows what it might affect. I was so relieved to not discover any new set of tests made flaky by ones I'm trying to add!
This is where the fun starts. Before we dive in, let's recall some background information on this. As discovered by Danny McClanahan in GH-7819, it is possible to only download a potion of a wheel and it's still valid for
pip to get the distribution's metadata. In the same thread, Daniel Holth suggested that one may use HTTP range requests to specifically ask for the tail of the wheel, where the ZIP's central directory record as well as where usually
dist-info (the directory containing
METADATA) can be found.
Well, usually. While PEP 427 does indeed recommend
Archivers are encouraged to place the
.dist-infofiles physically at the end of the archive. This enables some potentially interesting ZIP tricks including the ability to amend the metadata without rewriting the entire archive.
one of the mentioned tricks is adding shared libraries to wheels of extension modules (using e.g.
delocate). Thus for non-pure Python wheels, it is unlikely that the metadata lie in the last few megabytes. Ignoring source distributions is bad enough, we can't afford making an optimization that doesn't work for extension modules, which are still an integral part of the Python ecosystem )-:
But hey, the ZIP's directory record is warrantied to be at the end of the file! Couldn't we do something about that? The short answer is yes. The long answer is, well, yessssssss! That, plus magic provided by most operating systems, this is what we figured out:
We can download a realatively small chunk at the end of the wheel until it is recognizable as a valid ZIP file.
In order for the end of the archive to actually appear as the end to
zipfile, we feed to it an object with
read defined. As navigating to the rear of the file is performed by calling
seek with relative offset and
man 3 fseek for more details), we are completely able to make the wheels in the cloud to behave as if it were available locally.
For large wheels, it is better to store them in hard disks instead of memory. For smaller ones, it is also preferable to store it as a file to avoid (error-prony and often not really efficient) manual tracking and joining of downloaded segments. We only use a small potion of the wheel, however just in case one is wonderring, we have very little control over when
tempfile.SpooledTemporaryFile rolls over, so the memory-disk hybrid is not exactly working as expected.
With all these in mind, all we have to do is to define an intermediate object check for local availability and download if needed on calls to
read, to lazily provide the data over HTTP and reduce execution time.
The only theoretical challenge left is to keep track of downloaded intervals, which I finally figured out after a few trials and errors. The code was submitted as a pull request to
pip at GH-8467. A more modern (read: Python 3-only) variant was packaged and uploaded to PyPI under the name of lazip_. I am unaware of any use case for it outside of
pip, but it's certainly fun to play with d-:
I have been falling short of getting the PRs mention above merged for quite a while. With
pip's next beta coming really soon, I have to somehow make the patches reach a certain standard and enough attention to be part of the pre-release—beta-testing would greatly help the success of the GSoC project. To other GSoC students and mentors reading this, I also hope your projects to turn out successful!
Follow the anchor in an author's name to reply. Please read the rules before commenting.